Grand Traverse New Zealand Tour - Top to Bottom
If you are starting in Auckland and have around 2 weeks to tour the best of the country then this trip is for you. Our Grand Traverse trip launches from the City of Sails (Auckland) and takes in the country's finest natural highs as you head south. There are plenty of options to extend this trip either before of after the tour if you have the time. This is one of our top rated tours with highlights including:
- Try NZ's most spectacular great walks. We offer plenty of walks on this tour but there are a few we'd highly recommend. In particular trying the World's best one day walk, The Tongariro Crossing, and our top rated activity on tour - the 3 day Routeburn Track.
- Adventure activities for everyone. This tour offers a huge range of adventure activities to suit all tastes. A few favourites include sea kayaking, hobbiton, ogo, Maori village, hot pools, zipline canopy tour, luge, giant swing, skydive, bungy, whale watching, dolphin swimming, deep sea fishing, surfing and all the options of NZ's adventure capital, Queenstown.
Stay in amazing locations: With a department of conservation license we have access to beautiful sites by beaches, lakes, mountains and forests. A spacious, shared tent is included in the tour price or upgrade (just $NZ225) and have the tent to yourself. For a taste of rural luxury tou can also upgrades to cabins most nights (prices start from just $NZ15).
- Experience beaches, mountains and lakes: New Zealand it totally unique for its vast diversity of landscapes - from towering snow capped mountains and turqiouse lakes to golden beaches and bubbling geysers. On this tour you'll get to experience them all with staggering landscapes everyday.
- Cycle rides for all levels: If you decide to hire a bike on this tour you'll find an excellent range of rides to enjoy. From forest rides in Rotorua to wonderful coastlines stretches by the Pacific. You will fill your lungs with the freshest air and escape the crowds.
- Lord of the rings landscapes: You've seen the films, now walk in the landscapes. From Mount Doom to Hobbiton you'll get up close and personal to these other worldly locations.
The thermal wonders of Rotorua by Tim Parkinson
Starting in Auckland the Grand Traverse has you finishing your tour in Queenstown.
Customise Your Trip: If your arrival date into Auckland doesn’t match with our departure date, talk to our crew in the office about how we can make it work, perhaps you can start one or two days later in either Taupo or Rotorua, we will do our best to make it work for you.
If you have a few days after your trip why not extend it with one of these great options:
- Beach It Tour - Take time to chill in the Bay of Islands and unwind on golden beaches and in turquoise water. This great 4 day trip can be added on before your Grand Traverse departure from Auckland.
- Wild West Tour - After the thrills and spills of Queenstown continue your journey up the stunning west coast of the south island to finish in Nelson or Picton or contact us for options back to Christchurch/Wellington or Auckland. This 8 day trip continues on from the end of your Grand Traverse trip.
- Fox Glacier - Add an extra 2 nights to your trip and continue with us through Mt Aspiring National Park and into glacier country, finishing in the alpine village of Fox Glacier. Enjoy time on the ice with Fox Glacier Guides before returning to Queenstown via by bus the following day.
- Greymouth - Add an extra 3 nights to your trip and continue with us through Mt Aspiring National Park and up the west coast to Greymouth. From here you can take the Tranz Alpine scenic train ride through the Southern Alps to Christchurch.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE GRAND TRAVERSE TOUR
We have included the following must do experiences and essential trip requirements so you don’t need to worry about missing anything:
- Accommodation: Included in the tour price is shared tent accommodation, two people per tent. You can upgrade to your own tent for a small additional cost.
- Food: Most meals are included (see the detailed itinerary which outlines exactly what is included on a day-to-day basis). We can also cater for a broad range of dietary requirements.
- Seafood Feast: Surrounded by the sea, us Kiwi’s love our seafood and we want to treat you to a fresh seafood feast from one of our premium seafood locations.
- Wai-o-tapu Thermal Wonderland: Labelled by Tripadvisor as “One of the 20 most surreal places in the world”, you be the judge!
- Queenstown Gondola: A must do while in Queenstown, get a bird's eye view of this magnificent area.
- Cook Strait Ferry Crossing: Connecting the North and South Islands, this 3 hour journey through the tranquil Marlborough Sounds is an experience on its own, complete with stunning views.
- Sports Equipment: Dependent on the bus there will be a cricket set, bodyboards, frisbee and more.
A few other free inclusions are Otago Early Settlers museum, Te Papa museum, dig your own thermal pool on Hot Water beach, plus much much more!
Views over Queenstown by Matthias Gudath
ACCOMMODATION & HOW IT WORKS
Bush Camp: During the Grand Traverse we stay at 1 Bush camp, this is located in the South Island. Due to its remote location there are no cabin upgrade options and it also comes with only basic toilet facilities. This camp is stunning and rated by past travellers as some of their fondest memories.
Hostels: There is one night where camping isn’t feasible and we stay in a hostel (at your own cost), this is in Picton. Your guide takes care of booking this for you and we have dorm beds reserved for everyone. If you would like a private room (subject to availability) please contact us to book this in advance. Payment is made direct to the hostel on check-in.
End of Trip Transport Options:
The Grand Traverse tour has you finishing in Queenstown where there are regular daily flights to Christchurch, Wellington or Auckland with either Air New Zealand or Jetstar. There are also bus and shuttle services travelling daily from Queenstown to Christchurch costing from $60 NZD.
For more useful information visit our How It Works page here.