Northern Wanderer North Island Tour - Overview:
If you’re coming to the North Island and have limited time, read on - the Northern Wanderer tour is a jam packed 8 days that will allow you to experience Kiwi scenery & outdoors in all its glory.
In just over a week (from Auckland to Wellington) you’ll get to experience the best of the North Island, from white sand beaches, hot beaches and bays full of idyllic islands to the inland Tongariro Crossing, and much, much more!
Not only will you witness exhilarating mud pools, geysers and sulphur pools but you will also experience beaches and scenery that we promise will WOW you. You will also have the opportunity to kayak, swim with dolphins, fish and sail just to name a few fantastic optional activities. Be prepared to let the inner child out with a sand boarding experience and get up close and personal to some of the oldest and most special trees in the world - Giant Kauri’s.
The hikes and biking in the North are epic, with options to visit the Waitangi forest trails, (bordering fantastic beaches and historical villages), trail around waterfalls or volcanic features as well as peddling around protected Kauri Tree Forests. A highlight for many is the chance to do one of New Zealand’s Great Hikes and the greatest one day alpine hike - the Tongariro Crossing. This hike takes you through an active volcanic field!
Finish in style in our capital city- affectionately dubbed “the capital of cool”. Wellington is a funky city, with a plethora of quirky cafes, boutique shops and bars, live music and shows. Visit the interactive Te Papa Museum, leisurely stroll the waterfront, or visit the Botanical Gardens. You will find plenty of things to see!
The Northern Wanderer trip is an intensely fun immersion in the best cultural and scenic experiences that the North Island has to offer in a single week. This 8 day trip has you starting in Auckland and finishing in Wellington.
Customise Your Trip: You have friends in Taupo you want to visit, why not include an extended stopover. Talk to our crew in the office about how we can make it work.
If you have a few extra days and would like to spend it in the South Island, add on one of the below tour extensions:
- Southern Light - Starting in either Nelson or Picton if you don’t have time for the full South Island tour (Summer Blast) then this is an excellent way to see and experience some of the most beautiful and diverse scenery on the planet.
- Summer Blast - Explore the four corners of the Mainland on this complete South Island round trip. From the golden beaches of Abel Tasman to the blue ice of Fox Glacier you will get to immerse yourself and experience some of the finest natural wonders in the World. Most popular departure spots are Picton and Christchurch.
- Christchurch - A ferry crossing to the South Island and an additional two 2 days will have you finishing in Christchurch
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE NORTHERN WANDERER TOUR:
This trip is the best short trip we can offer of the North Island, ensuring you get to experience the memorable things that you’ll talk about over beers for years to come! We have chosen our favourite destinations and paired them with the best and coolest activities to make sure you have the most memorable Flying Kiwi experience possible. Here are just a few of the things that you will find included in your Northern Wanderer Tour:
- Accommodation: A spacious shared tent is included in the tour price and if travelling alone you will be paired with someone of similar age and same gender. Upgrade to your own tent for the duration of the tour for a small additional cost.
- Food: Most meals are included, as detailed in the itinerary and we cater for a broad range of dietary requirements.
- Wai-o-tapu Thermal Area: Wai-o-tapu is New Zealand’s most colourful geo-thermal area featuring unique volcanic activity, bubbling mud pools, and steaming geysers. Explore the park either on your own or with your newfound travel family.
- Hikes: There are plenty of free hikes to enjoy including the full-day Tongariro Crossing hike (bus transfer not included), Kauri forest walks and the Huka Falls walk to name a few.
- Bike Rides: We have some great cycle options ready for those that have hired a bike including the chance to cycle on one of the oldest mountain bike networks in the country, Redwoods!
There are lots of free attractions to make the most of, including Te Papa museum, Wellington Botanical Gardens, access to National Parks (Tongariro), dig your own thermal pool on Hot Water beach (we provide the spades!), explore the Bay of Islands region, use of sports equipment on board (bodyboards, frisbee and more dependent upon bus), amazing sunrises and sunsets at beautiful beachside campsites, and so much more!
Visit our bike rides and hiking pages for more details.
Our activities page gives more detail on many of the free and optional activities that you might choose to do on your Northern Wanderer Tour and how it all works while on tour.
IMPORTANT THINGS WE WANT YOU TO KNOW ABOUT THE NORTHERN WANDERER TOUR:
Please visit our 'how it works page' for everything you need to know.