Northern Light North Island Tour - Overview:
If your journey begins in Auckland and you want to head South towards Wellington then jump on to our action packed 5 day Northern Light Tour! Discover the best of New Zealand’s Northern hot spots and the remarkable contrasting northern landscapes on this quick thermal blast! In less than a week you will get to see an amazing range of diversity, enjoying fantastic hikes (including the world renowned Tongariro Crossing), a unique and famous Hot Water Beach to dig, then relax, in your own thermal pool and many other highlights!
In the middle of the North Island you’ll have the opportunity to take in some Maori Culture at the Tamaki Maori Village, cycle or hike in Redwoods (one of the world’s top mountain bike trails) and see some great thermal wonders such as Wai-O-Tapu geothermal Wonderland before continuing on to the impressive Huka Falls nestled next to one of the largest crater lakes in the World (Lake Taupo) with some of the greatest hiking and cycling opportunities NZ has to offer!
Finish in style in our Capital - affectionately dubbed “Wellington - the capital of cool”. Wellington is a funky city, with a plethora of quirky cafes and boutique shops or bars, live music and shows, Te Papa Museum (one of the best interactive museums), or you may prefer a leisurely stroll along the waterfront or botanical gardens. You will find plenty of things to see!
So, if 5 days is all you have, then this is the perfect way to cruise the central and lower North Island with plenty of beach action included!
The Northern Light trip is a 5 day trip that will see you leave Auckland and head south to Wellington, taking the best cultural and Scenic experiences of the Central North Island.
Customise Your Trip: While this trip has a fixed start in Auckland and a final destination of Wellington, if you wish to break your trip and hang out in any of our amazing locations along the way, then that’s entirely possible! Just speak to one of our awesomely friendly reservation crew to see how we can help you!
If you have extra time available after your trip why not extend with one of these great options:
- Summer Blast Tour - Departing from Picton or Christchurch, the Summer Blast is one of our favourites taking in the best of the South Island. From the golden sand beaches of the Abel Tasman to the deep waters of Fiordland, experience some of the finest natural wonders in the World.
- Southern Light Tour - This trip takes you to a huge range of natural wonders from glaciers and mountains to beautiful beaches and wild coastlines. Starting in either Picton or Christchurch we enjoy the highlights of the South and wrap things up in the adrenalin capital - Queenstown!
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE NORTHERN LIGHTS TOUR:
This trip takes in many of the best activity options available in the North plus some excellent free options. We have carefully constructed each tour so you can pick and choose the things you love to fill your day. Options include passive sightseeing to adrenalin junkie adventures - but always know that there's never any pressure to participate so whether you enjoy mud pools & museums or bungy & skydive you are guaranteed to enjoy some once in a lifetime experiences. Here are just a few of the things that you will find included in your Northern Light Tour:
- Accommodation: Your accommodation in our carefully selected campsites is included in a shared tent, two people per tent. If you want your own space you can upgrade to a single tent for a small additional cost.
- Food: Tasty healthy meals are all part of the package; see which meals are included on the day to day itinerary. If you have a specific dietary requirement, no problem we cater for most diets.
- Wai-o-tapu Thermal Area: Thousands of years in the making, Wai-O-Tapu is a wonderland of stunning geothermal activity. Explore spectacular nature at New Zealand's most colourful volcanic area.
- Hikes: We offer daily walk options including Redwoods Forest and the roaring Huka Falls but the most stand out is the Tongariro Alpine Crossing, heralded as the best one-day trek available in New Zealand, while others say it ranks among the top ten single-day treks in the world.
- Bike Rides: From mountain bike trails to scenic riverside tracks, if you have hired one of our bikes you won’t be disappointed as you cycle your way through the most scenic regions of the trip.
While there are always optional activities for you to do if you choose there are also heaps of free options. We take in many of these on the Northern Light tour including access to Tongariro National Park, Te Papa museum, Wellington Botanical Gardens, heaps of free hikes, use of sports equipment on board (bodyboards, frisbee and more dependent upon bus), amazing sunrises and sunsets and more.
Our activities page above gives more detail on many of the free and optional activities that you might choose to do on your Northern Light Tour and how it all works while you are out there adventuring!
Our bike rides page and the hiking pages will also give you lots more details into the rides and hikes our guides will show you along the way. We include printed maps and route notes for any of the hikes and rides you might want to do.
IMPORTANT THINGS WE WANT YOU TO KNOW ABOUT THE NORTHERN LIGHT TOUR:
Please visit our How It Works page for everything you need to know.