EXPLORE THE BEST OF THE AMAZING NORTH ISLAND
This full North Island loop covers all the cultural, activity and scenic highlights that make the north island of New Zealand so unique. From thermal wonders and maori culture to golden coastlines and ancient Kauri forests there is something for everyone. There are a few options to complete your 9 or 10 day loop but all include the following awesome highlights:
- Try the World's best one day walk: The tongariro crossing is highly rated as one of the World's best one day walks. The variety of scenery is unmatched from lunar landscapes to turqiose pools - find out more here.
- Travel like a local and experience Maori culture: We are proud to be kiwi owned and operated. One thing that makes our tours so unique is our focus on sharing our knowledge and passion for kiwi culture and heritage. On this tour you will get the chance to learn and immerse yourself in the locations and history that shaped New Zealand. From historic Maori buildings to the Haka and rock carvings we will share all our historic treasures with you.
- Wake up to spectacular views: This tour has an excellent mix of remote and more commercial campsites with cabin upgrades available most nights (typical cost is around $NZ15 per night). You will get direct access to spectacular beaches, beautiful forests and also enjoy a big city fix with a couple of nights in the cities of Wellington and Auckland.
- Once in a lifetime activities: Our tours are designed to enjoy as much adventure as you want. Every day you will get the chance to choose your own combination of activities, hikes and bike rides. Some of the activities available on this trip include zorbing, skydiving, black water rafting, kayaking, diving, surfing, sandboarding, fishing, dolphin swimming, parasailing, maori cultural shows, glow worm cave tours, weta workshops, Hobbiton, giant swing, zip line canyoning and much more. Check our activity page for more details.
- Lord of the rings experiences: Lord of the rings fans will be in their element on this tour. We have an amazing optional visit to the other worldly Hobbiton + you can hike via Mount Doom and in Wellington there's the chance to visit the Weta workshop where you can get up close and personal with life sized sculptures.
- Great, free walks everyday: We pass through a real diversity of landscapes on this tour and give you plenty of time to stretch your legs and explore. From towering rainforests to golden beaches you will discover many of NZ's most celebrated landscapes - don't forget the camera!
- Excellent cycle options: Bikes are available to hire on this tour & we'd highly recommend this option. We have a range of rides (see itinerary for more details) but as always you choose the distances and terrains that suit you. There are some excellent road rides and a highlight for many is the awesome off road tracks through the forests of Rotorua. Bike hire costs just $NZ210 for the entire trip.
- Lots of free inclusions: Everyone loves a freebie and this tour is crammed with them. Some of our favourites include digging your own hot pool in the sand under the stars at Hot Water Beach, Wai-O-Tapu thermal park (featuring a number of exhilarating mud pools, geysers and sulphur pools) and the captivating National Museum of Te Papa to name a few.
Tongariro Crossing by Camila Rutherford
WHAT'S INCLUDED ON TOUR
- Accommodation: A spacious, shared tent is included in the tour price, two people per tent. There is the option to upgrade to a single tent if you prefer for just $NZ90.
- Food: Mealtimes are a big thing on our tours - we love and enjoy great food. We cater for a wide range of dietary requirements and this tour includes 8 breakfasts, 3 lunches and 7 dinners.
- Wai-o-tapu Thermal Wonderland: Included in your tour price is a visit to Wai-o-tapu, New Zealand’s most colourful geo-thermal area, featuring unique volcanic activity, bubbling mud pools, and steaming geysers.
- Use of sports equipment: Bodyboards, frisbee and more depending upon the bus.
- Hikes: Your chance to do the best one day alpine hike in NZ, the Tongariro Crossing (bus transfer not included) along with numerous short walk options. Let us show you secret spots off the main tourist trails including glow worm caves, 1,000 year old Kauri trees and the roaring Huka Falls.
- Te Papa Museum: The national museum of New Zealand is full of historical, geographical and cultural treasures. Its a captivating and fascinating way to learn about the history or our country.
- Dig your own hot pools. We head to hot water beach where you can dig your own hot pools by the ocean (spades provided!).
Cycling in Rotorua by Julian Apse
As the Hot Rocks trip is a complete loop of the North Island it means you can start and finish your trip anywhere along the way. Your trip will then finish where you started. The 3 most popular trip options are:
- Start and finish in Auckland - (South bound, 10 days): Heading south first, this leg takes you directly to the Coromandel and the golden beaches of the East Coast.
- Start and finish in Auckland - (North bound, 9 days): Heading north first towards the Bay of Islands, you’ll have the option of a quick dip in the water at stunning Uretiti Beach before arriving at Paihia.
- Start and finish in Wellington - (10 days): Leaving from Wellington we travel the scenic Kapiti Coast towards New Plymouth.
Customise Your Trip: It is possible to customise your trip by only travelling on certain sections of our routes - maybe you want to start in Auckland and finish in Wellington? Talk to our crew in the office about how we can create the perfect trip for you.
If you have extra time why not extend it with one of these great trips:
Summer Blast Tour - Explore the four corners of the Mainland on this complete South Island round trip. From the golden beaches of Abel Tasman to the blue ice of Fox Glacier you will get to immerse yourself and experience some of the finest natural wonders in the World. Most popular departure spots are Picton and Christchurch..
Southern Light Tour - If you don't have time for a full South Island tour but are keen to revel in a brilliant action packed adventure then check this one out. Starting in either Picton or Christchurch we enjoy the highlights of the South and wrap things up in the adrenalin capital - Queenstown!
HOW IT WORKS AND ACCOMMODATION:
Hostels: If you start your trip from Auckland (south first) or Wellington there will be one night in Auckland where camping isn’t feasible and we stay in a hostel to give you easy access to the city centre. Your guide takes care of booking this for you (prices from around $NZ25) and we have dorm beds reserved for everyone. If you would like a private room (subject to availability) please contact us to book this in advance. Payment is made direct to the hostel on check-in.
For more useful information visit our how it works page.