TOUR AND EXPLORE THE BEST OF NEW ZEALAND:
Our top rated and top selling tour is guaranteed to provide the experience of a lifetime. You will see and do it all, get well "beyond the tourist trail" and experience some of the World's most unique activities, best hikes and most spectacular vistas. Mix this with great people, superb guides, tasty food and a "room with a view! and you ahve all the ingredients for New Zealand's best adventure tour.
There are a few options to complete your 27 or 28 day loop but all include the following awesome highlights:
- Stay in amazing locations: With a department of conservation license we have access to beautiful sites by beaches, lakes, mountains and forests. A spacious, shared tent is included in the tour price or upgrade (just $NZ270) and have the tent to yourself. For a taste of rural luxury you can also upgrades to cabins most nights (prices start from just $NZ15).
- Explore 7 amazing National parks: Our unique travel style and department of conservation license provides access to some of the most beautiful and remote areas of New Zealand - a genuine chance to get off the beaten track
- Once in a lifetime activities: Try it all from glacier hiking and dolphin swimming to skydiving and canyoning - as much adventure as you want. Check our activity page for more details.
- Meet the locals and experience Maori culture: We love hanging out with other travellers but want you to experience, meet and get to know the locals. The places we stay, visit and even drink give you the chance to hang out kiwis! Form local pubs to Maori cultural experiences you'll leave our tour with a big piece of Kiwiana forever in your heart.
- Optional cycling and hiking everyday: With bikes on board and access to the best hikes in NZ, including the World's best 1 day walk, you will spend more time exploring jaw dropping and iconic landscapes by foot and pedal. Our bike rides and hiking pages pages give a run down on the options you will get to try.
- Lord of the rings landscapes: You've seen the films, now walk in the landscapes. From Mount Doom to Hobbiton you'll get up close and personal to these other worldly locations.
- Enough time to explore: You might have noticed our big tour is longer than other alternatives - there's a good reason for that. We spend more time in the best locations and less time on the bus. We want you to savour the best places and relax - it is a holiday!
Kayaking at Cathedral Cove by Adam Bryce
WHAT'S INCLUDED ON TOUR:
- Accommodation: Included is your accommodation in our carefully selected campsites staying in a shared tent, two people per tent. You can upgrade to your own tent for $NZ270.
Queenstown Hostel Stay: We stay in Queenstown for two nights and we've chosen the perfect, centrally located hostel stay to maximize your time here.
- Food: We enjoy good food and supply tasty & healthy meals suitable for all diets + hot drinks. This trip includes 25 tasty breakfasts, 9 lunches and 18 evening meals.
- Use of sports equipment on board: (bodyboards, frisbee and more dependent upon bus), amazing sunrises and sunsets at beautiful beach side campsites, and so much more!
- Hikes: There are heaps of free hikes included in this trip. View a few of our favourites here.
- Museums and National Parks: Kiwis are a generous bunch - there are no costs to access the national museum and national parks.
- Seafood Feast: We enjoy great food on our trips but in Kaikoura we treat you all to a fresh seafood feast (priceless!) from one of the best seafood locations in New Zealand! This is a meal not to be missed!
- Wai-o-tapu Thermal Wonderland: Wai-o-tapu is New Zealand’s most colourful geo-thermal area featuring unique volcanic activity, bubbling mud pools, and steaming geysers.
-Wine Tasting in Marlborough: The Sauvignon Blanc wines of Marlborough are internationally recognised - tastings are on us in our specially arranged wine tasting experience.-
- Cook Strait Ferry Crossing: Sit back and relax on the 3 hour scenic crossing between the North and South islands through the stunning Marlborough Sounds - eyes peeled for whales & dolphins.
- Use of Sports Equipment on Board: Body boards, frisbee and more depending upon the bus.
A few more of our free inclusions are Tongariro, Abel Tasman, Paparoa, Westland Tai Poutini, Aoraki Mt Cook, Mt Aspiring & Fiordland National Parks, dig your own thermal pool on Hot Water beach (we provide the spades!), the full-day Tongariro Crossing hike (bus transfer not included), Te Papa museum, Wellington Botanical Gardens, Church of the Good Shepherd in Tekapo, Otago Early Settlers museum, Hollyford camp quirky museum, Lake Matheson mirror lake, Hokitika greenstone factory, Punakaiki Pancake rocks and blowholes and of course amazing sunrises and sunsets at beautiful beach side campsites!
Our activities page above gives more detail on many of the free and optional activities that you might choose to do on your Ultimate Explorer Tour and how it all works while on tour.
Marlborough sounds crossing by Rob Susted
The Ultimate Explorer tour is a loop. We offer 3 start options, listed below. All options cover the same points. You can view more details using the itinerary tab at the top of the page:
START AUCKLAND HEAD SOUTH FIRST - 28 days: Follow the itinerary as outlined and complete your loop from Auckland to Auckland in 28 days.
START CHRISTCHURCH - 28 days: Start your tour in Christchurch ("Kaikoura to Rangitata" day on itinerary) and complete your loop back in Christchurch.
START AUCKLAND AND HEAD NORTH FIRST - 27 days: Head North first as we explore the Bay of Islands (your trip starts on the "Auckland to the Bay of Islands" day on the itinerary). You will combine the last day on the itinerary (Orewa to Auckland) with the first (Auckland to Coromandel) to complete your trip in 27 days.
HOW IT WORKS AND ACCOMMODATION:
Bush camps: During the Ultimate Explorer tour we stay at a few more remote and beautiful bush camps. These are the highlights of the trip for most and offer tranquil surrounding and spectacular views, there are no upgrade options in these spots but if the weather is bad we will find alternatives.
Hostels: There are 3 hostel nights on the 28 day option and 2 on the 27 day tour where camping isn't feasible and we stay in hostels (at your own cost). We have dorm beds reserved for everyone on board and these are paid for locally (around $35-$40 per night) except for the Auckland hostel night which payment is required prior to travel. Your Flying Kiwi team make all arrangements for you and if you would like a private room please contact us to book this in advance (subject to availability).
Queenstown Hostel Stay: We stay in Queenstown for two nights and we've chosen the perfect, centrally located hostel stay to maximize your time here - this ones on us!
For more useful information visit our How It Works page.