THE BEST OF BOTH ISLANDS - A TOTAL NEW ZEALAND ADVENTURE
Our Total Aotearoa tour is ideal if you don't quite have time for the Ultimate Explorer. It covers all the main attractions and whilst you will skip the Bay of Islands there is no shortage of beaches on this tour with 3 days in the stunning Abel Tasman.
We cram a lot into 24 days but here are some of our customers favourites:
- Exploring the country's best National Parks: With a department of conservation license we have access to amazing spots and you'll get a chance to explore the most amazing locations. Form NZ's highest peak at Mount Cook to the Worlds best one day walk at Tongariro you will be immersed in the most amazing natural beauty.
- Sleeping under the stars to the sound of the ocean: Does this sound like you? if you love wide open spaces, fresh air, spectacular views and chatting around the campfire then you'll love our accommodation. In addition to our camping there are plenty of options to upgrade to cabins so choose as much outdoors as you want.
- Everything from dolphin swimming to bungy jumping: New Zealand is an outdoor paradise and for 30 years we have been finding the best adventures to try. On this tour you will get the chance to try as much as you can handle - a few highlights include dolphin swimming, black water rafting, skydiving, canyoning, paddle boarding, surfing, hiking on a glacier, sailing, canyoning and much more. Check our activity page for more details.
- Optional hikes and bike rides everyday: Our unique trip style gives you the chance to try a huge variety of walks from 10 minutes to 3 days! All offer spectacular vistas and lifelong memories. The same applies to the bike rides - from short downhill rides to challenging off-road tracks - choose your favourites and go!
- Get to know the locals: We love New Zealand and we want you to get to know all about our history, culture and people. Our knowledgeable guides will share fascinating stories with you whilst the trip style gets you away from tourist crowds to locations where you'll hang out and mix with the locals!
Escaping the crowds in Abel Tasman by The Planet D
- Accommodation: Included is your accommodation in our carefully selected campsites staying in a shared tent, two people per tent. You can upgrade to your own tent for $NZ225.
- Food: We enjoy good food and supply tasty & healthy meals suitable for all diets + hot drinks. This trip includes 25 tasty breakfasts, 9 lunches and 18 evening meals.
- Use of sports equipment on board: (bodyboards, frisbee and more dependent upon bus), amazing sunrises and sunsets at beautiful beachside campsites, and so much more!
- Hikes: There are heaps of free hikes included in this trip. View a few of our favourites here.
- Museums and National Parks: Kiwis are a generous bunch - there are no costs to access the national museum and national parks.
- Seafood Feast: We enjoy great food on our trips but in Kaikoura we treat you all to a fresh seafood feast (priceless!) from one of the best seafood locations in New Zealand! This is a meal not to be missed!
- Wai-o-tapu Thermal Wonderland: Wai-o-tapu is New Zealand’s most colourful geo-thermal area featuring unique volcanic activity, bubbling mud pools, and steaming geysers.
- Queenstown Gondola: Marvel at the stunning views as you ride the steepest cable car lift in the Southern Hemisphere, and one of the must-do activities in Queenstown!
- Wine Tasting in Marlborough: The Sauvignon Blanc wines of Marlborough are internationally recognised - tastings are on us in our specially arranged wine tasting experience.-
- Cook Strait Ferry Crossing: Sit back and relax on the 3 hour scenic crossing between the North and South islands through the stunning Marlborough Sounds - eyes peeled for whales & dolphins.
- Use of Sports Equipment on Board: Body boards, frisbee and more depending upon the bus.
A few more of our free inclusions are Tongariro, Abel Tasman, Paparoa, Westland Tai Poutini, Aoraki Mt Cook, Mt Aspiring & Fiordland National Parks, dig your own thermal pool on Hot Water beach (we provide the spades!), the full-day Tongariro Crossing hike (bus transfer not included), Te Papa museum, Wellington Botanical Gardens, Church of the Good Shepherd in Tekapo, Otago Early Settlers museum, Hollyford camp quirky museum, Lake Matheson mirror lake, Hokitika greenstone factory, Punakaiki Pancake rocks and blowholes and of course amazing sunrises and sunsets at beautiful beachside campsites!
Our activities page above gives more detail on many of the free and optional activities that you might choose to do on your tour.
Hiking the Routeburn track by Brian Guest
HOW IT WORKS AND ACCOMMODATION:
Campsites: We use a carefully chosen mixture of bush and more commercial campsites. All have facilities but you will find the bush camps to be a little more basic (although their locations are always the most spectacular). Cabin upgrades are available most nights for a taste of rural luxury and don't worry if the weather is bad we will find alternatives.
Hostels: To ensure you can access the thriving centres of Wellington, Picton and Auckland we stay in hostels on these nights. Your guides will sort all the details for this and the rooms can be paid for locally (around $25 per night). There are 2 shotel nights on your Total Aotearoa tour.
For more useful information visit our How It Works page.