This morning is all about visiting Fox Glacier, either by Helicopter or by walking up to the terminal face viewpoint. The heli hike option is one of the most memorable activities you can do during the tour and is the only way to step foot on the ice, you fly up by helicopter and mountain guides take you into cravasses and ice caves before a short return flight to Fox. If you’re not keen to head up by helicopter, you can view the valley and glacier but from a distance, the trail is also open to bikes so make the most of the morning and explore the area.
During the afternoon we’ll take everyone down to Lake Matheson where we get incredible views over the Southern Alps if the weather is clear, and if it’s calm the lake can reflect the view. We then leave Fox and make our way to Okarito, a tiny west coast town that is famous for its wetlands reserve and bird conservation projects, where it’s possible to spot some rare and endangered bird including the kiwi!
The camp is right next to a quiet west coast beach where we like to set up a small camp fire and chill out while watching the stars.
- Meals: Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner
- Bike Rides: Ride along the walk/cycleway to the Glacier viewpoint and then ride to Lake Matheson later in the day. There is also a beautiful ride on the quiet road that leads to Okarito
- Walks and Hikes: If you're not hiking on the ice then definitely head up to the terminal face viewpoint and then in the afternoon a walk around Lake Matheson is a must do!
- Available Upgrades: Yes (limited options)
- Drive Distance: Approx. 2.5 hours