2010 - year of the "Flying Kiwi"
OK, so a Flying Kiwi may not have sneaked into the Chinese calender just yet - but we are looking forward to another superb year at Flying Kiwi HQ.
We are kicking off the year with some cracking editorial including THE top 10 activities to try in New Zealand, a run down on the World's greatest one day walk, free entry to the adventure travel shows in London and Melbourne and a collection of the funniest videos you will probably ever see!!
New Zealand's Top 10 activities
Aotearoa (aka. New Zealand) is often rated as one of the World's best adventure destinations and we certainly agree. However, with so many activities to choose from where should you invest your hard earned $s for maximum enjoyment, thrills and rewards!
After careful consideration and a great deal of product testing,here are our top 10:
- Heli Hike on Fox Glacier. After an exhilarating helicopter ride along the glacier the experience of setting foot on pristine ice at one of the Worlds most stunning natural wonders is a definite for any wish list.
- Dolphin Swimming in Kaikoura. The Dusky dolphins in Kaikoura are amongst the most interactive and playful in the World. Experiencing this closeness in the open water with a mountain backdrop is what dreams are made of!
- Bungy Jumping in Queenstown. No trip would be complete without a visit to the World's most famous and thrilling bungy sites.
- Skydiving in Abel Tasman/Taupo. Nothing quite matches the feeling of a skydive. However, combine this with the most breathtaking views in NZ and you have the recipe for the perfect adrenalin fix.
- Whale Watching in Kaikoura. In this aquatic playground you can get up close and personal with the giant and majestic sperm whales. These trips have rightly been awarded with numerous environmental accolades.
- Waka Tour in the Bay of Islands. Maori culture is unique, captivating and inspiring. These trips give you the chance to immerse yourself in the culture and history of these wonderful traditions.
- Rafting in Rangitata. Riding the rapids around the base of stunning Mount Cook will certainly awaken your senses...and if that doesn't the cliff jump will!!!
- Surfing on secluded beaches. One of the best things about New Zealand is what we don't have - a lot of people and crowds. We do however, have miles of gorgeous coastline with beautiful breaks for every level of surfer.
- Sailing the Abel Tasman. Often overlooked (though never by us) this is possibly New Zealand's most beautiful National park. Its best appreciated from the water with options to kayak, hike or sail your way home........the ultimate chill out.
- Milford Sound Cruise. Recently listed as one of the modern, natural wonders of the World this awe-inspiring natural phenomenon is one not to be missed.
The Tongariro Alpine Crossing
Rated by many as the best one day walk in the World, the tongariro crossing is a highlight of many Flying Kiwi tours. This hike takes in the most diverse range of scenery imaginable and on a clear day the views are impossible to match.
Established in 1887, Tongariro was the first national park in NewZealand and the fourth in the world. It is also a dual World Heritage area, a status which recognizes the park's important Maori cultural and spiritual associations as well as its outstanding volcanic features.
It is a place of extremes and surprises, a place to explore and remember. From herb fields to forests, from tranquil lakes to desert-like plateau and active volcanoes - Tongariro has them all. In 1887 Te Heuheu Tukino IV (Horonuku), then the paramount chief of Ngati Tuwharetoa, gifted the sacred peaks to the nation. To tangata whenua (people of the land).
It is said that their ancestor, Ngatoroirangi, was close to death after exploring this mountainous region. He called out to his sisters from his pacific homeland, Hawaiiki, to send him fire. The fire came but its passage left a trail of volcanic vents, from Tongatapu, through Whakaari (White Island), Rotorua and Tokaanu, before reaching Ngatoroirangi on the slopes of Tongariro.
*detailed content in this section taken from the DOC website .
Meet us at the London and Melbourne adventure travel shows
This year we are again exhibiting at the World's leading adventure travel shows. We will have some great promotions running and it's a great chance to meet the team and ask any questions. We have a limited number of free tickets available for the London show (contact UK tel. number on main website) and you can get free entry to the Melbourne show through their website below.
Adventure Travel live , London, Jan 29th-31st
Adventure Travel Expo , Melbourne, Feb 20th-21st
Youtube's top videos of 2009
Here are some of our favourites from the most viewed on youtube for 2009:
Click here - rated as the funniest commercial of all time!
Click here - the Prairie dog phenomenon
Click here - hysterical presenter hysterics!
We wish you all a fantastic time for 2010 and hope we get to see you along the way.
The Flying Kiwi Team