Northern Express North Island Tour - Overview:
Check out this 2 day Northern Express Tour which starts in Wellington and finishes in Auckland – from the bottom to the top - moving from the capital city to the city of sails! It’s a swift trip however, it appeals to those who want an overnight camping experience.
We go slightly off the beaten track with a scenic route along the Kapiti Coast, Mount Taranaki and rolling farmland of Waikato, and get the chance to meet other like-minded outdoor enthusiasts! We all chip in with cooking and preparation of food so you’ll get a chance to have a laugh and meet new people. You’ll also get two friendly, energetic and knowledgeable guides who share a perfect mix of localised information between them.
You’ll be joining the tour with passengers who have likely been travelling with Flying Kiwi on another trip segment in New Zealand. This makes it perfect for you if you’re in New Zealand for longer and need some honest advice on must do destinations!
Mix your experiences up with glow worm caves and black water rafting, followed by a late picnic lunch before arriving in the big smoke - Auckland! But don’t leave us yet! If you have the time you can always add a Beach It trip around the Bay of Islands to the end of your trip.
The Northern Express trip is a fast way to move between Wellington and Auckland while allowing yourself small but memorable sightseeing experiences along the way. While you start in Wellington and finish in Auckland the next day, if you wish to prolong your stay in Taranaki, and take in a little more of the west coast of the North Island, it’s entirely possible!
Other possibilities are if you find a liking to travelling with us and what we can offer you, you may want to add on a tour extension or two. These following options are always available:
- Beach It Tour - if you want to escape the city for a few days of fun in the sun then this trip is ideal. We enjoy warm waters, great beaches, superb rides and excellent hikes on this great journey around the winterless North.
- Grand Traverse Tour - this is a one way adventure, from Auckland, for those who have a little less time but still want to see a sizeable chunk of the country. Highlights include thermal wonders of Rotorua, whale watching, dolphin swimming, Milford Sounds, the adventure capital Queenstown and much more.
- Northern Light Tour - If your journey begins in Auckland and you’re heading South then jump on. In less than a week you will get to see an amazing range of diversity, enjoy fantastic hikes (including the Tongariro) and see some great thermal wonders. It’s the perfect way to cruise the North Island with plenty of beach action included.
Contact us for more information.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE NORTHERN EXPRESS TOUR:
Just because it’s only two days doesn’t mean we skimp on delivering anything less than the best tour options and experiences to you! Here are just a few of the things that you will find included in your Northern Express Tour:
- Accommodation: We stay at a pretty awesome location in Taranaki - camping in tents which are easy to construct and just as easy to bring down.
- Food: Meals are included (1 dinner, 1 lunch and 1 breakfast).
- Hikes: You guides will point you in the direction of the different walks available.
The activities below are additional to your trip cost and can be booked as you travel. They are optional and there are always free alternatives - for prices visit the optional activities page.
- Blackwater Rafting: explore the unique, glow worm filled, underwater cave systems of Waitomo
- Waitomo Glowworm tour: Marvel at the light display as you glide silently through the starry wonderland of the Glowworm Grotto
Our activities page above gives more detail on many of the free and optional activities that you might choose to do on your Ultimate Explorer Tour and how it all works while on tour.
IMPORTANT THINGS WE WANT YOU TO KNOW ABOUT THE NORTHERN EXPRESS TOUR:
Can I extend my trip?
Sure, there are plenty of options to see more of the country before or after your tour. Check out our full loop to get some inspiration or contact us if you would like some advice on doing a few things independently around your trip.
Does this trip run in winter?
No - unfortunately not. For more information on winter tours check out our winter tours page.
For more useful information visit our How It Works page.