THE BEST OF NEW ZEALAND - BOTTOM TO TOP:
The Reverse Traverse trip soaks up the best of Kiwiana on this great journey from the bottom of the South to the top of the North. This trip takes in some of the most diverse scenery in the world in 15 days; visit the county's best National Parks, explore glaciers, fiords, golden sand beaches, rugged coastlines, lush subtropical forests and dramatic mountain formations.
This trip offers great flexibility with start options in Christchurch or Queenstown. Find out more in the trip options section.
This is one of our top rated tours for those with around 2 weeks in New Zealand - highlights include:
- OUR TOP 4 NATIONAL PARKS: Spend time in NZs only coastal national park, Abel Tasman and view some of the most spectacular mountain scenery in Westland and Egmont national parks.
- ENJOY MULTI NIGHT STOPS: This tour is perfectly paced to spend more time in the best spots. With extra nights in Abel Tasman and the Bay of Islands you can relax, unwind and enjoy some of the best beach scenery in the World!
- LONELY PLANET'S BEST DRIVE IN THE WORLD: This tour covers some spectacular scenery but of particular note is the wild west coast of the south island.
- UNIQUE ADVENTURE ACTIVITIES: This tour is packed with adventure options - choose from skydiving, canyoning, black water rafting, glacier hiking, sailing, diving, sandboarding and paddleboarding to name a few
- OPTIONS GALORE FOR CYCLISTS AND HIKERS: This section of the country offers some of the most diverse landscapes and exploring them by foot or bike is ideal. We get to hidden spots off the beaten track where you can enjoy awesome vistas away from the crowds.
Abel Tasman hike by Brian Guest
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN THE REVERSE TRAVERSE TOUR:
We know the best of New Zealand which is why we have included the following in the Reverse Traverse tour:
- Accommodation: Pitch your tent beside beaches, lakes, mountains and forests. A spacious, shared tent is included in the tour price (sharing with one other person of a similar age/same sex). There is the option to upgrade to a single tent if you prefer for a small cost.
- Food: Our portable kitchen turns into a restaurant under the stars! Most meals are included (our detailed itinerary outlines exactly what is included on a day-to-day basis). We can also cater for a broad range of dietary requirements.
- Wine Tasting: The Sauvignon Blanc wines of Marlborough are internationally recognised for their beautiful crisp flavour and distinctive summer citrus aromas. The tastings are on us in our specially arranged wine tasting experience.
- Cook Strait Ferry Crossing: The most scenic way to get from one island to the other is the Cook Strait ferry. You can sit back and relax on the 3 hour scenic crossing between the South and North islands through the stunning Marlborough Sounds - keep your eyes peeled for whales and dolphins on the way.
- Sports Equipment: What a great way to spend time around camp, make use of sports equipment we’ve put on board for you, such as bodyboards, frisbee and more depending upon the bus.-
- Hikes: Marvel at the reflection on Mt Cook as you walk around Lake Matheson mirror lake, free walks are enjoyed every day and vary from 10mins to a few hours in length. Our bike rides page and the hiking pages give you lots more detail into the rides and hikes our guides will show you along the way.
A few more of our free inclusions are Abel Tasman, Paparoa, Westland Tai Poutini, Te Papa museum, Wellington Botanical Gardens, Hokitika greenstone factory, Punakaiki Pancake rocks and blowholes and of course amazing sunrises and sunsets at beautiful beachside campsites!
Lake Matheson views by Brian Guest
You can start this trip in Queenstown or Christchurch. The bus service from Christchurch to Queenstown runs daily (apart from Christmas day) so if you would like to have a few days to explore Queenstown before the tour departs contact us. The standard trip price and dates are for departures from Queenstown.
Customise Your Trip: It is possible to only do part of the route - maybe you want to start in Queenstown and finish in Wellington. Talk to our crew in the office about how we can create you the perfect trip.
If you have a few days after your trip why not extend it with this great option:
Northern Light Tour - You can discover New Zealand's hot spots and the remarkable contrasting northern landscapes on this quick thermal blast! It's a short trip from Auckland to Wellington and is packed with some of the best parts of New Zealand.
ACCOMMODATION & HOW IT WORKS:
Campsites and Upgrades: It's the places we stay that make the trip so memorable for many of our clients. Nothing matches opening your tent to views of the Pacific ocean or dozing off to the sound of the waves. We use a mixture of department of conservation and commerical (DOC) camps. All have great facilities but the DOC camps are a little more basic (but in the most scenic spots). There are cabin upgrades most nights if you fancy a break from the canvas - no need to book in advance but this is subject to availability at peak times.
Hostels: There are two nights where camping isn’t feasible and we stay in hostels (at your own cost). These are centrally located and ideal for exploring the regions. Hostel nights are in Wellington and Auckland. Your guide will make a booking for you and we have dorm beds reserved for everyone. If you would like a private room (subject to availability) please contact us to book this in advance. Payment for the Auckland hostel is made to Flying Kiwi prior to travel and the Wellington hostel is paid direct to the hostel on check-in.
For more useful information visit our How it works page here.